Science As Proof That God Does Not Exist
Many would argue that as our scientific knowledge has increased our need for God has decreased to the point that in effect mankind has ‘Killed God’. Scientific theories such as the Big Bang and Evolution can explain life on Earth without the need for a God.
This scientific theory deals with the origin of the world. It proposes that about 14 billion years ago, a massive cosmic explosion occurred. This was the start of what we now call the universe. To begin with, basic particles were very hot and as they cooled they began to stick together to form stars and planets.
The evidence for this can be found in the Red Shift, which shows that the universe is expanding, and Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation, which is the ‘afterglow’ of the Big Bang.
This scientific theory helps explain the origins of humanity. It was put forward by Charles Darwin in his book The Origin of Species in 1859. He claimed that life evolved by natural selection through a process of survival of the fittest. Life began as simple bacteria and over millions of years has evolved into the complex animals and plants we see around us. This theory suggests that humans evolved from apes.
Evidence for this can be found in fossils and by observing the way organisms live today.
Key Idea – Scientific theories offer evidence as proof. This can be very powerful as religion rests on faith rather than proof
The Response From Religion
- For many Christians, there is no conflict between religion and science. The vast majority of Christians accept the ideas of evolution and Big Bang while continuing to believe in God. Liberal Christians would say that God started the Big Bang and controls Evolution.
- If the creation stories in Genesis are not taken literally, then science can be seen as revealing the laws of creation as made by God. This means that science becomes a way of understanding more about God by studying the world God made.
- However, fundamentalist Christians would reject what science claims if it contradicts what is in the Bible, as the Bible is the Word of God, so must be correct. It is for this reason that fundamentalist Christians reject the theory of evolution and instead believe in a seven-day creation.
- Many Muslims see no difficulties with believing in both the scientific accounts of the origins of the universe, and what the Qur’an teaches. They believe that since God created humans with intelligence to learn more about God’s creation, it is important to do so in order to have a clearer understanding of God.
- Some Muslims do reject the theory of evolution for humans, as they believe that humans are a special creation of God.
Exam Tip – This section links with the work in the Beliefs and Teachings Revision Guide as well as the unit on Religion and Life. Look at the exam Q below. Can you answer it?
‘Science proves that God does not exist’ (12)