4 mark questions
- Explain two contrasting beliefs in contemporary British society about corporal punishment.
- Explain two similar beliefs about murder.
- Explain two similar beliefs about forgiveness of criminals.
If the question refers to ‘beliefs in contemporary British society’, at least one part of your answer must be about Christian views.
5 mark questions
- Explain two religious beliefs about the reasons for crime
- Explain two religious beliefs about forgiveness.
- Explain two religious beliefs about the use of prisons to punish criminals.
Remember, each question is followed by the line:Refer to sacred writings or another source of religious belief and teaching in your answer.
12 mark questions
- ‘Punishment without the possibility of reform is pointless.’
- ‘The death penalty is the only suitable punishment for murder.’
- ‘When punishing a criminal we should always take into account the reasons they committed the crime.’
Each of these questions has the following instructions after the statement:
Evaluate the statement.
In your answer you:
- should give reasoned arguments in support of this statement
- should give reasoned arguments to support a different point of view
- should refer to religious arguments
- may refer to non-religious arguments
- should reach a justified conclusion