Natural Law (Religion and Ethics 1a)
- Which two philosophers do you need to know for the exam in relation to Natural Law?
- What type of theory is Natural Law?
- What is the meaning of the word Telos?
- What was Telos for Aristotle?
- What does it mean to say Aquinas ‘theologised’ Aristotle’s theory?
- What is Telos for Aquinas?
- Aquinas believes that morality is about following the law. What are the Four Tiers of Law?
- What is the key precept?
- What do we use to work out our telos?
- What are the Primary Precepts?
- What is a secondary precept? Give an example.
- What does Aquinas mean by the terms Real and Apparent Goods?
- What are the four cardinal virtues? Give an example of how a person might behave if following one of these?
- What are the three theological virtues?
- Explain using examples what the Doctrine of Double Effect is.
- Give three strengths of Natural Law.
- Give three weaknesses of Natural Law
- Which scholars might you link to Natural Law? What quotes could you use to illustrate your points?